Bay Laurel (Laurel Leaf) Essential Oil
|Botanical Name:||Laurus nobilis|
|Method of Farming:||100% Pure – Conventional|
|Method of Extraction:||Steam Distillation|
|Part of Plant:||Leaves and branchlets|
“The oil is best suited to writers, poets, painters, musicians and creative artists – those with psychic tendencies, who depend on intuition and inspiration for heir work. It promotes confidence, insight and courage.” (Lawless J. Aromatherapy and the mind. Harper Collins Publishers, England, 1994)
Bay Laurel, also known as Laurel LEAF, is an evergreen tree up to approximately 60 ft high. It is native to the Canary Islands and indigenous to western Europe. With dark green glossy leaves and black berries, it is commonly grown as a garden ornamental shrub. The essential oil is extracted from mature leaves, not yet dried – as this contains the higher oil content. The color of the L. nobilis oil is pale yellow to olive green. It has a spicy, sweet, fresh, medicinal aroma. Also known as Sweet Bay, but not to be confused with West Indian Bay oil (Pimenta oils), or the Californian Bay Laurel (Umbellularia californica), the Cherry Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus), or the Alexandrian Bay oil (Calophyllum inophyllum).
Bay Laurel is known for promoting confidence and courage. It is said that it can help with depression, anxiety, and fear. Some suggest that Bay Laurel can be added to a shampoo to help with dandruff and hair growth or mix with Grapeseed carrier oil to help with acne.
FACTS: Bay Laurel was a symbol of wisdom, protection and peace for ancient Romans and Egyptians. It was also considered a protector against evil throughout the middle ages and has long been used in cooking to aid digestion. It is said that Laurel leaves were also used for treating bee and wasp stings.
10ml (1/3 fl oz)
AUROMA Essential Oils are the highest quality essential oils available in the world today. Each oil is from an individual farmer and from a particular year’s harvest. As AUROMA knows each of the Farmers, they guarantee the authenticity of each oil. Just to be certain, they analyze each oil using the latest state-of-the-art GC-MS technology, which can detect impurities to one part per billion. Yes! AUROMA represents the best there is in Essential Oils. We can supply the following documentation: Certificates of Analysis and Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
To meet the stringent demands of the professional aromatherapist, AUROMA has drafted the following seven requirements that an essential oil needs to meet so it can be used with confidence:
- BIO-TYPE: Not only does an oil have to come from a defined botanical species, but from a particular genetic strain.
- CHEMO-TYPE: The same botanical species can often produce completely different constituents.
- GEO-TYPE: Oils from a particular area are often of superior quality. Examples are Rose Oil Bulgarian or Sandalwood East Indian.
- COMPLETE OR WHOLE: The oil should come from a single distillation and should not be rectified.
- WILD OR ORGANIC: Where possible, AUROMA always selects the wild growing plants for distillation. When wild types are not available, AUROMA commissions farmers who do not use pesticides or chemical fertilizers. Certified Organic options are available.
- EX STILL: AUROMA distills small lots of expensive oils in-house and advises farmers on distillation methods.
- ANALYYSIS: Oils are tested by AUROMA in Australia with the most advanced state-of- the-art equipment in the world.
- Skin Care: Mix with Grapeseed carrier oil to help with acne “Cautions” below.
- Hair Care: Laurel Leaf oil is often recommended in hair care for improving dandruff. You can also massage the oil into your scalp to enhance the appearance of healthy-looking hair.
- Just to smell: You can enjoy the aromatherapy of your favorite Essential oil or Blend without even taking it out of the bottle. Keep a bottle in your purse or your car. Simply open-up and smell. This can be particularly helpful during times of stress.
- In a Diffuser: Using a diffuser is an easy way to permeate your chosen space diffuse your chosen essential oil. Some say that Laurel Leaf can help with depression, anxiety, and fear.
Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Coriander, Cypress, Eucalyptus, Fir Needle, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Juniper, Labdanum, Lavender, Lemon, Olibanum, Pine, Rose, Rosemary, Thyme, Ylang-Ylang, Citrus and Spice oils.
Whenever you use Essential Oils or 100% pure Essential Oil Blends on the skin, they should be diluted in a vegetable oil. However, always check for skin sensitivity before applying the finished product to the body. See “Cautions” below.
Suggested Dilution Rates follow:
- 10ml Base Product: A 1% dilution requires a total of 2 drops essential oil, or a pure blend, 2%=4 drops, 2.5%=5 drops
- 50ml Base Product: A 1% dilution requires a total of 10 drops essential oil, or a pure blend, 2%=20 drops, 2.5%=25 drops
- 100ml Base Product: A 1% dilution requires a total of 20 drops (1ml) essential oil, or a pure blend, 2%=40 drops (2ml), 2.5% 50=drops (2.5ml)
- 1Ltr Base Product: A 1% dilution requires a total of 200 drops (10ml) essential oil, or a pure blend, 2%=400 drops (20ml), 2.5%=500 drops (25.ml)
Please ensure that the total number of drops does not exceed the dilution ratio. For example: 2.5% dilution = 1 drip Geranium, 2 drops Palmarosa & 2 drops Mandarin diluted in 10ml Jojoba Oil. Total drops = 5
Laurel Leaf oil is non-toxic, moderately irritating, is not phototoxic. It could be sensitizing. (Tisserand R, Bolacs T, Essential oil safety. Churchill Livingston, UK)
The Aromatherapy Place does not recommend ingesting essential oils unless a specific dosage instruction is given to a consumer by a qualified medical practitioner.
Do not apply directly to skin. May case skin irritation in some individuals. Always dilute with a carrier oil. A skin test is recommended prior to use on the skin.
Keep out of reach of children. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult a health professional prior to use. Keep away from eyes and mucous membranes.
Please check with a professional for safe essential oils to use with children or the elderly. Do not use essential oils on a child younger than two years without professional advice.
We recommended that Essential Oils or 100% pure and natural Blends be stored in amber or cobalt blue glass containers to maintain freshness and attain maximum shelf life. Keep away from excessive heat and light. A bathroom, bedroom or kitchen cabinet should be a good storage location.